Seven Tips to Stay Hydrated
June 26, 2017
Many areas of the country have been experiencing extreme temperatures this summer, which increases the opportunity for heat stroke . Here are seven tips to stay hydrated.
1. Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
2. Drink fluids at regular intervals during the day.
3. Water is the best choice for hydration, (not soda, Gatorades, PowerAde’s, energy drinks etc.) without adding calories to your diet.
4. Milk is around 85% water and a good source of protein and calcium. Check the label for calories, as these will vary according to the type of milk you choose.
5. Thirst is not a very good indicator of your level of hydration. By the time you feel thirsty, you’re probably already getting dehydrated.
6. A more reliable indication of hydration in healthy people is the color of your urine. In general, the lighter the color, the better hydrated you are.
7. Don’t overdo it! Although unusual, it is possible to become unwell by drinking too much water or other fluids.
Provided by Aurora Health Care