Someone wearing rain boots walking through puddles


Who needs a flood policy?

Anywhere it rains, it can flood. Flooding ranks as the costliest and most common natural disaster in the US, occurring in all 50 states, according to FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency).

However, few people insure themselves against the risk, even in areas where chances are high that they will occur. In Wisconsin and elsewhere we have seen unusually severe weather with resulting floods and water damage. Many homeowners were not even aware that their insurance policies excluded this coverage. Most homeowners, tenants, and business policies do not cover flood, so it’s important to ask your agent if you do have flood coverage.

What is a flood?

A flood is defined as a general and temporary condition where two or more acres of normally dry land or two or more properties are inundated by water or mudflow. Your flood risk is based on history, rainfall, river-flow and tidal-surge data, topography, flood-control measures and changes due to building and development.

Sewer backup and sump pump failure coverage caused by backup through sewer and drains is available on most homeowner policies. However, it specifically excludes damage that occurs where surface water flooding occurred. There is a difference and distinction between flood coverage and this coverage. Ask your Robertson Ryan agent for details.